Thursday, December 22, 2005

Shopping Indian Style




Shopping this is something I enjoy in every country and India is no exception to that.

I find the mall's easier to shop in, though obvioulsy more exepensive
(read more about Indian malls on my previous post)

This picture is us at a Sari Sale , I was looking for something specific and of course being fuzzy that I am we left with nothing after over an hour or rummaging through piles and piles of sari's.
I find it difficult to shop in India because as soon as the stall holders start pulling me in I feel intimidated, pressured and dont buy anything. Shopping with family is quite similar, I feel pressured to make quick decisions and ofcourse they always say Iam paying too much.
but it has to be kept in mind, whats too much for them is still a bargain for me... and if the alternative is going home without anything than Id rather pay an extra dollar or two to avoid dissapointment.
For some reason shopping ALWAYS get's left till last... hubby doesnt want to shop plus we are always with family.. it would be nice once and a while to be let out together to go shopping alone.
I usually use shopping as my "excitement builder" when going to India I focus on all the lovely things I can buy and try to stay unstressed.. so when I dont actually get to go shopping I am dissapointed.. Usualy Mumiji takes my shopping list and goes and gets it for me on the last day..
Which is great, but also not my own selection or shopping..
hence why I like the malls with supermarkets full of stuff on the shelves.. i can browse , look think and then buy...
I try strictly to buy only things we have a place for.. but that doesnt always work... I have to draw a line somewhere right or Id buy anything and everything..


This is me shopping at Choki Dani a Indian themed village hotel.
The prices were too high but still a bargain I bought a very beautiful silver box..






This is Didi and I shopping at Delhi Hart Bazaar again its a tourist bazaar but its decent shopping with food and toilets and a bazaar for every state of India, even the local shop here Including Didi who bought those cushion covers , I bought some ponchos and knick nacks for taking home as gifts.
Things I would like to buy in India..
*A Baby Elephant!
*My own Salwaars and saris
*An orphaned child or two
*Biggest Ganesh statue posisble for my yard
*Antique Indian Furniture and oh so much more...

4 comments:

Nishu said...

Interesting, I'm pressurizing myself..aahhh!! just stumbled on ur blog..!

certain suggestion to gori phorener phrom a indian bhay! Ma hinglish is rheally bhad. ma aphalogy!

//Things I would like to buy in India..
*A Baby Elephant!

>> after sometime, it actually grows up.

*My own Salwaars and saris

>> Guess what, u should try it once instead of gifting it to ur mamiji or didiji.

*An orphaned child or two

>> u want to buy it?? this is thing which made me feel.. aaaaaaaahhhhh, thats truely phorener!!

*Biggest Ganesh statue posisble for my yard

>> its not an elephant to tie in the backyard.

*Antique Indian Furniture and oh so much more...

>> thank you, thank you .. Your All praises are mine, as he says!

haha!! dont be angry, just a young brat. (^_^)

keep writing..thinking of tagging you (^_^)

Shell said...

Hi nishu...

Elephant: My baby elephant will have stunted growth so it stays small :)

Child: Even Orphan children are not free..nothing is free in life
someone will want money for paperwork,fee's etc etc... and secondly I was only joking and thirdly whats wrong with a giving a child a home.......

Ganesh: Technically it IS an Elephant and its me who will be tied to the Ganesh for pujas.

Gee I am so glad I didn't write about the other things I wanted..
:)

yum said...

Hehe. now I'm curious abt what other things you want!!!!

megha said...

lol how you define indian style? This is strange.


Ganesh Gifts