Thursday, December 29, 2005

Dosa Disaster






So last night we had Dosa, I enjoy dosa because the dosa its self is not spicy (usually) and if I remove all the filling this is something I can eat Whilst in India.

So occasionally we have Dosa at home.



which is made from a packet mix of course because..well Life is just easier that way. So instead of using the normal brand Gits we picked up some other brand and I found the whole experience more traumatic than normal dosa making.

Firstly the mix tasted like it contained too much BiCarbonate of Soda and

secondly it was bubbling like yeast on my ( trudged all the way back in my hand luggage from India) Dosa Pan.
Which contrary to what you may think will NOT assist you in anyway for making dosa it is merely a flat pan that does nothing more than get hot and in

my case burn the arse off my dosa.
It does not pour, flip or roll your dosa's for you, nor does it fill them with yummy stuffing.
basically you are on your own for all of that.
I do recall having a successful Dosa or 2 over the 5 years I have been making them but as to what went right or how I did it I don't know.
My dosa's even with the GITS mix are floppy little sad sacks, I have tried thick, thin, low heat, high heat and have even tried chanting
Ommm Ommm
make my dosa's work
make them crispy and light
so we can enjoy
yummy Dosa tonight.
Ommm Ommm
but still my dosa need divine intervention.




Here is a picture of a Pro at work.. If anyone has some helpful tips I would appreciate it. Remember what the dosa man says...
"No good dosa turn goes unflipped"





5 comments:

Nishu said...

hmm..errr.. once in a while(say a week) dosa is okk..but to have it daily, its impossible for me.

U need any recipes then u can mail me, i have one good pdf file on cooking indian cuisines. u can practice using it, but i guess many things are available on net also.

Wish u happy new year 2006!

(^_^)

voixd'ange said...

Ha ha ha! This is so funny! Im luuuuuv dosa and have tried without success over the years to make them! The keralite nuns that I work with have told me that the batter has to rest in ther fridge over night. I have yet to try that! Happy New year Gorigirl!

yum said...

I dont think the mixes can make a good dosa.
Just wanted to tell you though, if you are using rava dosa, those you pour out a little different from the "regular" kind in that you cannot smear them, you have to pour it thinly in a sort of lacy pattern. i know that was no help at all! :p

yum said...

Thanks a lot! Now Im hungry for dosa!

Our Catholic Family said...

I love dosai!! I ate it every day while in India, sorry - I can't get enough. While pregant I beg my husband for Udupi (sp?).

Anyway, when I make it I do it from scratch. Sorry, but I don't like the mixes. I can never get them to work. My mother in law did it while she was here. I was so impressed I hoped she would show me how. She pointed to the back of the box and my father in law interpreted, 'Just follow the instructions on the back'. Duh.

Dosai is an art.