Saturday, December 03, 2005

Licking Chicken Good

last night at 3am I could not sleep some how I was recalling a not so funny meal time In India.

I am not very tolerant of spice and by now my In-laws know this, though occasionally they think my tolerance has improved and have me taste something spicy. My brother actually says your taste buds re-new themselves every week.. So maybe next week I'll be better.

Anyways...


The story....

So we are at a local shopping mall with Hubbys brother in law jiaji
(Sisters husband ..We all know the status of that right?) anyways.. So he goes on a mission to help sort out the westerner with food.

He is gone for ages and is talking to the men behind the chicken counter, eventually he calls me over to Check the chicken.

"Here try this its not too spicy"
He passes me the chicken coated in bright red curry to try..
I am thinking.. "Are you serious? Its obviously hot" I am also thinking
"Raw chicken and I'm lickin it. Oh yeah I'm going to die today"

So obviously it is TOO HOT... My mouth is burning and despite my better judgment I once and for all say "No I'm sorry Its too Hot"

So... He has his ,behind the counter staff Wash it for me..

So after 20-30 mins a plate of washed but hey now its cooked at least chicken comes to my table.. Jiagi offer it to me and says I hope that is ok for you. Mean while he munches on his whole pickled chili that he MUST have with each meal.

So I take a bite of the chicken.. "Oh Shit!! It's hot" Thinking I can not embarrass anyone here because he has gone to such effort I will just have to eat it. He ask's me if its ok.. And I very politely say yes. Thinking the faster I eat it the better.

At first it was ok, the mucus in my nose was not running too fast and every bite or so I could sneak a wipe with the napkin.

I am literally squirming in my seat with the onset of a raging fire in my mouth. Trying to catch Hubby's eye I wonder why the hell did I demand he sit next to me..For once he actually listened but I needed him to be within eye glance so I could confess my pain with a few flicks of the eyelids.

After 20 napkins and 1/2 a bottle of water hubby suspects something is up and asks me if its ok. I mumble a NO under my breath....

He then asks me to try someone else's dish which is curd based so I can cool off my mouth..hmm nice I say. That's nice.. So I get some more. And politely offer my chicken to everyone....

After 2 pieces I sit back and say.. "gee I am so full" "Such Yummy food"

Surprisingly I didn't die from raw chicken licking. But I did cleanse all my nasal passages and burn my taste buds down 6 days early so they could Re-new them selves quicker. Cause after all it was only a snack till we got home.

4 comments:

burf said...

lol, funny, again

Our Catholic Family said...

Oh I remember that! Did you have to visit the family and friend's homes? I had a schedule, and at every stop I had to eat. They would say "This briyani is not spicy at all, I made it special for you". Oh man. Too much briyani, and always spicy and hot.

HOWEVER, my mother in law had some pity and found this awesome curry chicken. It was NOT SPICY at all. I have no idea the masala, but it was red and wrapped in a banana leaf. *mmmm*

yum said...

Hey gg, whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger! hehe. I think a little bit of germs is healthy! This from the girl brave(or is it stupid?) enough to brush her teeth with tap water.

I find biryani to be often too bland, but most south Indians who eat nonveg seemed to be really impressed with the stuff. Have you tried "lollipop chicken" in India? MMMMM.

voixd'ange said...

Water actually makes the effects of the curry worse. Milk or a milk based drink will help. Also beleive it or not bread. I have also heard that beer is good with curries, but I am not sure what effect it has on the hotness.