Thursday, December 01, 2005

Karva Chauth




I had made a list of topics for my blog and my next one was going to be
karva chauth for those who don't know what that is here is a link on Karva Chauth But now it seems a little Try-hard to win back my "U hate Indians" fans. Thats if doing something Indian actually win them back.


But to heck with what's right and what's not this is next on my to-do list and god damn it I hate to skip over my lists.



Karva Chauth has been very very vaguely explained to me via my husband and his knowledge for Indian traditions and festivals it surprisingly limited, if not flexible and inconsistent.

Basically (as I understand it ) is you fast for your husbands well being...not its original concept but it's latest.

I have done this twice in our 3 years of marriage, not sure what happened one year maybe I did it, maybe we forget.. Not really sure. I don't understand the whole thing and basically just do what I am told.

So I didn't wear my wedding lengha or adorn myself in jewels, I did take a shower before my husband came home and geez I even brushed my hair, put some perfume.
(hubby didn't notice my effort) Only that I had forgotten to wear bangles.

The only problem was the moon was no where to be seen, my husband was unsure what to do as there was no moon to pour the milk towards. I figured pouring it into the sky was close enough afterall the moon can not be seen all the time all over the world and there had to be a solution.

I think my husband was considering allowing me to starve until the moon came up, but I was hungry and irritated and once again annoyed about the "flexible beliefs" my husband has. Some how it ended in an argument.. Consumed about thoughts of grabbing the nearest food item just to spite my husbands good will were all too tempting..

But I decided to have a cup of coffee and calm myself down
Hubby decided to ring his mother and find out a solution

By this time we were living in a very hostile environment with tears and yelling and just complete annoyance between us both for very different reasons that had been blown out of proportion by both of us.

His mother told him he had to cook me dinner. I was relieved and felt for a brief moment I was being supported by other women.

And I guess that is the origin of how the Karva Chauth started, Women helping women.

So maybe I got it afterall...

And just as I finish this post Mumiji rings me to check I am ok , not needing any help and not lonely (hubby is away) How is that for coincidence ?

4 comments:

Satyavati devi dasi said...

hi-
Somewhere on my site there are pictures of a nivi sari and a Gujarati sari..there is also a very good book by Chantal Boulanger you can get online on different ways to wear a sari. I hope this helps! And I have a lot of friends who have Indian husbands, so I can imagine your confusion at times. :) take care

burf said...

even i dont know what is the actual reason behind this festival :D:D

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Every festival and most religious practices will have some sort of symbological impact on you, even if you do not notice it , it will do you some good if you believe it will .

Unknown said...

Hello... Nice take on karvachauth... U can actually have your husband running around on this day. I am the editor of SimplyMarryZine.com (A Times of India website) would like to use this post of yours. Please email me for more details at simplymarryzine@gmail.com.