Wednesday, January 04, 2006

The light goes out in the city of Lights


OK so its a new year and maybe time to make some confessions....

let me set the scene for you....

We were visiting Varanasi> the holy city of light. Pilgrims visit the Ghat to offer a puja to the gods. In our instance it was to cleanse us of our sins (or something to that effect)

I guess my in laws thought it was required for me to visit or maybe they had done something they needed forgiving for.. me I am a saint (lol) so the thought hadn't crossed my mind to visit somewhere to cleanse my sins.. however I was interested in visiting the famous Ganges.

We had been staying at a hotel the night beofre and after breakfast I was vomiting and getting sicker by the moment, but the pilgrimage to the Ganges was made easier by the air-conditioning and laying down on the back seat.

As we exit the car I realise once again that I am the only white person there, and I was extra white due to the illness which was creeping up on me.

it was extremely hot that's my first recollection... I was thirsty but avoiding fluids to avoid toilets so was I was admittedly weak.

So Iam just basically doing as I am told, smiling for the camera and concentrating on left foot right foot as we go across the bridge and down the stairs..

Iam watching everyone submerge them selves in the surprisingly fast flowing water, my mind wonders thinking about their sins and not my own.. I mean if you have to be submerged into the water.. geez what had they done?? lol

I am handed my beautiful Puja bowl which consists of a bowl made from pressed banana leaves and contains some flowers and of course a lamp. Which is to be lit and placed into the water...

At this point Iam focusing on the water.. wondering how much sicker I will get if I go into the water and just how far am I expected to submerge.. I begin my inside my head chants.

" I am not going in there"
"I am not going in there"

I am passed the puja offering and told to place it into the water. I am only expected to wet my feet as I place it into the water...

At this point I am feeling rather sick, rather weak and extremely hot...

I start down the steps, concentrating on not falling into the water head first and wondering how I will get back up again, when the lamp goes out!!

it went out !! what did that mean ?? I didnt know.. I didnt care so i popped it in quickly and with the gush of the current it was whisked away out of sight....

but there is no way I could have done it again... as I got to the top of the steps I felt dizzy my vision was tunneling and my hearing was gone, I remember mumbling "Iam going to pass out" and then I was seated down onto the cold marble and cold juice was brought to me.... Eventually We continued home with me vomiting....


If I ever go back to Varanasi I will make sure my lamp is lit.....

5 comments:

Nishu said...

u need patience baby!! I've not visited gangaji yet!
(^_*), lucky chap!! LOL

Our Catholic Family said...

See, that's what you get for not lighting your lamp!

You had the chance of becoming imortal too. Missed opportunities...

If I ever get to go I'll fully dunk myself. Hopefully it's not as nasty as I hear!!

voixd'ange said...

Sorry you were so ill, thanks for the chuckle though.

Death Spiral said...

hilarious...but glad I landed at your blog(Big thanks to the Praveen wedding in coimbatore where you left a comment). I was suggesting we should have a forum of "Indians and non-indian partners"...its amazing how many of us there are out there and we could certainly share experiences to make life better for each other as a committed network. Cheers, Kannan

Shell said...

Kannan- Hi so your in a interracial marriage also? Please join my group insideindia where we chat a little more indepth about things... I look forward to learning more about you..